“Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle.”
When I started this blog less than a year ago, my purpose was to provide hope and help for other victims of domestic abuse. I started writing about what I had been through, the symptoms of PTSD I was still struggling with, and how I had started to regain my identity and sense of self through running. At the time, I fully identified myself more as a survivor of abuse, than a thriver- despite my best efforts. In spite of the fact that the abuse was in past, I couldn’t keep it from affecting my everyday life.
Then somewhere along the way I stopped being a survivor of abuse and became myself– a thriver with a passion for life and fitness. I’m not sure exactly when it happened, but with the change in myself, this blog changed too (you may have noticed it’s been through a bit of an overhaul). Instead of blogging my doubts about running and myself – or things I struggled with in life, I started blogging about fears I conquered and goals I achieved. Over time, this blog has became more about fitness and health than overcoming abuse. Why? Because that’s why I’m passionate about! Plus, once I overcame my past abuse, I didn’t feel like I needed to write about it anymore. It’s not who I am; rather it’s just something incidental that happened to me in the past. Ultimately this blog became about aspiring to be the strongest and healthiest version of myself possible and hopefully inspiring some others in the process.
I went from struggling with a 10K and 15 K to finishing a half and full marathon and a Tough Mudder– at altitude. I grew from struggling with a single pushup to handstand pushups. I became a boot camp and weight lifting junkie and found my happy self. Throughout all of it- I never expected much from this blog. What happened instead exceeded more than I could ever have imagined: I became part of a community- a wonderful little network of amazing people who inspire me on a daily basis and blow me away with their kindness and encouragement. This blog have grown so much in the past several months that I can hardly keep up with all the comments! (I still read every one!) Even more amazing, are all the award nominations I’ve been receiving!
Just recently I have nominated for the Versatile blogger Award (Thank you Coach Crystal’s Padawan!!!), Kreativ blogger Award (Thank you Living Beautifully!!!), The Very Inspiring Blogger Award, and The Sunshine Award (Thank you PositiveBoomer!!!).
The rules for for these awards are all pretty much the same:
1) Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog (check)
2) List some random things about yourself that other people may find interesting
3) Nominate some worthy blogs and let them know
Since I have been nominated for the Versatile Blogger Award a few times already, I thought I’d share the list of awesome bloggers I’ve nominated in the past.
- Tina Running For Freedom: This blog is bran-spanking-new. It belongs to a close personal friend of mine, and fellow CT-ALIVE board member. She is a survivor of domestic abuse, thriver, and hosts a network TV show called Beyond Violenceto raise awareness about abuse. She is currently running in an effort to lose weight and raise money for victims of abuse. Today she is participating in her first 5 K! I am SO PROUD of her!
- The Healthy Push: I would recommend this blog (and Facebook feed) to anyone interested in working out. They have great images, recipes, exercise tips, motivational quotes, etc. Conveniently, there post today is tips on how to avoid over stuffing (bad pun intended) yourself on Thanksgiving.
- Heikewrites: Heike is a talented writer, an optimist, and also a survivor of childhood abuse. She is very open about her own struggles and always has something interesting posted and I definitely recommend checking her out!
- The Everyday Warrior: Well, she is just that- an everyday warrior (better known as a super woman ) She is a wife, mother, and runner who happens to be training for a half marathon and Tough Mudder. She is also tirelessly working to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project and could use our support !:)
- Cerridwen’s Cauldron: “Wit, Wisdom, Humor, Nonsense, Rants and Raves, Brewed With a Pinch of Individuality Since 2009″- that pretty much sums it up! I especially appreciate the wit. She’s already been nominated, but I’d like to recommend visiting her blog anyway.
- Remember the H: A fellow marathoner with an awesome blog to get you motivated off the couch. (or maybe I’m the only one you wants to run a marathon after reading someone else did it- either way it’s worth the read!)
- Thetortoiseruns: This blog seriously cracks me up- on a regular basis. Love it!
- Soles of a Mom: “shoe addict, workout queen, wife & mom celebrates motherhood one shoes at a time!”- my kind of gal. Plus she’s a runner!
- Conchsaladesque – Thank you for making me laugh and inspiring me!
- Lean Girl’s Club– Great motivation for women who love to run or just want to stay fit
- Fit and Feminist– Not only because we have so much in common, but because it’s something every girl should read
- Tikk Tok– A fellow barefoot runner documenting her journey
- Undeterrable– Love to read about another goal setter!
- The Skinny Pink Ninja– Way to prove the doctors wrong girl! Can’t wait to follow in your footsteps (fingers crossed)
- My Pink Ribbon Journey– Talk about survivor- this super woman just completed a triathlon after taking on breast cancer!
- The Thinks I Can Think– Besides being generous, she is also incredibly funny!
- Eat:Watch:Run– This blog cracks me up (and the bunny is adorable)!
- Running on Empty– Love that this couple is training for a marathon together- and he documented his proposal in the blog! Lots of luck to you both!!!!
- Love and Running Shoes– Another CT local. Ashley, you rock! Good luck with your running and future triathlons
- Motion and Rest– Love to read about another runner’s progress- especially when that runner is a fabulous woman with a sense of humor!
- Breathless Runner– I totally relate to this blog!
- Slow Happy Runner– Because Lori, you are an inspiration, and I love reading about your journey.
- Fat Girl in a Skinny World– A great blog about living healthyAlso- just in case you missed it- here are the amazing folks I nominated recently for the Kreativ Blogger Award:
- Soles of a Mom– I find this blog to be full of positive energy and always find something inspiring to read.
- The Everyday Warrior– Why? Because she’s AWESOME!!!! and someone I can totally relate to. She is also running a Tough Mudder and raising money for the Wounded Warrior Project, so head over there and show her some support!
- Fabulous 50′s– Because she truly is FABULOUS and so is her blog. I especially love her travel photos!!!!
- Feminist Figure Girl- What can I say? I’m a feminist at heart. This blog is totally worth reading.
- Conchsaladesque- This lady has been through some recent heartache, but continues to face each day with strength and gratitude. Her posts are always thoughtful and insightful.
- Manbicep– All I can say is you have to read it.
- Run. Dog. Cat. Me.- If for no other reason (and there are others) then because this post totally cracked me up.
In my opinion, ALL these bloggers of the Very Inspiring Blogger and Sunshine Awards. However, in the interest of sharing the wealth I’d also like to add the following blogs to the list:
- Coach Doug Bowers: love his blog and ever-encouraging comments on my page. Be sure to check out his recent post on love handles and see what I mean.😉
- Mojo’s Movement: a fabulous fellow fitness junkie… like makes us practically soul mates right?
- My Struggle- Losing 400 Pounds: 100 pounds down already! Sounds pretty inspiring to me, don’t you think?
- Once and Future Runner: A fellow runner battling injuries with optimism and enthusiasm.
- Coach Crystal’s Padawan: Fellow fitness enthusiast suffering through P90x while I sweat it out with Shaun T.
Hmmm and as for the random things…
I have developed an adulthood love of avocados and guacamole.
I love paisley and have it all over my house- not just on this blog.😉
I can cook but stink at baking… not sure that’s a bad thing though!
I haven’t cut or colored my hair in over a year- changing that today!
- Holistic Words Nominated the ‘Versatile Blogger’ Award (holisticwords.wordpress.com)
- Kreative Blogger Award (sonelscorner.wordpress.com)
- “Beautiful Blogger Award” (madewithpurpose.wordpress.com)
- Beautiful Blogger Award – Thank You So Very Much (momentumofjoy.wordpress.com)
- I Have Been Nominated for The Versatile Blogger Award! (thriftynut.wordpress.com)
- Versatile Blogger Award – I Love the Rain! (momentumofjoy.wordpress.com)