“You win some, you lose some, and some get rained out, but you gotta suit up for them all. “
– J. Askenberg
Just in case any one has been wondering (or worried), no I have not dropped off the face of the earth… or stopped training. Life has simply gotten chaotic, and given the choice between getting in a blog post and getting in a workout- I’m going to pick the workout every time. Don’t be offended! I still love you all. 🙂
SOOOO here’s a quick summary of life post Tough Mudder:
- Went to the chiropractor who, instead of scolding me for running, asked how it was and told me how he’s always wanted to do one. Unlike me, he hasn’t because he’s afraid of getting injured and missing work. I think he should stick with that plan until my shoulder is all healed.
- Did some light training so as not to further aggravate my shoulder in the week after the Tough Mudder. This included some running and [stationary] biking (love pedaling around in circles!!!! not really… but at least it gives me time to read) because that’s pretty much all that I’m allowed to do.
- Celebrated Mother’s Day, and found out my sister was pregnant- SUPER EXCITING
- Got a message from my sister the following day after her doctor’s appointment that it was twins and they were expecting a miscarriage.
- Spent time off from work with my sister who was understandably devastated. I brought her important grieving tools- Ben & Jerry’s, chocolate candy and cookies, and tissues with aloe. She told me thanks for making sure she would still look pregnant even if she wasn’t any longer.
- Found out my Ultra Beast training/lifting buddy had ditched me for my cooler boot camp friends (who he met after I invited him to do the Tough Mudder with us). This is likely partly do to him feeling responsible for injuring my shoulder and partly because they are shiny and new (plus I can’t compete with single women). After initially being hurt about the fact our friendship has pretty much fallen to the wayside now that he is over his break up and in better shape- I’ve decided that I will just use this as further motivation to train harder and kick his ass in September…. jk…maybe
- Worked some crazy off shifts at work
- Attended my brother’s graduation for his master’s degree- SUPER PROUD OF HIM!!!
- Started some light weight lifting because my shoulder felt “normal” for several days, and I can’t help but push it… I used really light weight to be on the safe side.
- Spent several days putting together a graduation party for my brother
- Did a little more light lifting and some trail running (where my legs felt like lead… maybe from the 20 miles on the bike and lifting the day before…)
- Felt elated that my shoulder is still behaving despite the fact that I haven’t exactly been 😉
- Spent an afternoon on the boat with Adam and some friends- including my girl Kelly. I was a very good girl and didn’t attempt any skiing or knee boarding… even though it was killing me not to! Still managed to have a good time anyway. 🙂
- Finally had my family over to celebrate my brother’s graduation yesterday and ate WAY too much.
That pretty much brings us up to the present.
I also went to Home Depot this past week and picked up some sand bags for a very exciting home craft project. All I need to do now is pick up some colorful duct tape…. more on that to come.
Today my plan is to maybe get a run in and hit the gym later depending on how my shoulder is feeling. I am REALLY trying not to over due it. I don’t want any further setbacks! However, now that it is feeling better it’s really hard not to want to push it- especially with the Spartan Ultra Beast coming up! For now I am trying to sit tight as best as possible and remind myself that I still have plenty of time to train (even if I don’t completely believe it).
- “You have crunchy muscles…” (runningthriver.wordpress.com)
- I Just Did Something Crazy… (runningthriver.wordpress.com)
- Tough Mudder Recap(Or How Maximum Results Boot Camp Owned Vermont) (runningthriver.wordpress.com)
- Frustration is a Four Letter Word (runningthriver.wordpress.com)
- Blog Post: Tough Mudder moves to Northstar (buzz.snow.com)
- My Non-training Update (runningthriver.wordpress.com)
- When the going gets ‘tough’ … (vttoday.com)
I’m so sorry to hear about your sister. Prayers to them at this difficult time. Hang in there, and “try not to overdo it”! ;op
Thank you! She is finally on the the path to recovery…
Glad you are back! So sorry to hear about your sister’s loss. 😦
Sorry to hear about your sister. Prayers and hugs for the family. It is great to see you back and yes working out is so important. I just feel even when you have an injury do what you can! I am having issues with my bicep in my left arm and until we figure out if it is torn or not I have had to back off of upper body lifting. That is torture!! Both physcially and mentally! I still go to the GYM and work my lower body and do what I can. I will be glad to find out what it is!! My workouts are so good for me, physically and mentally. I love fitness!!
Have a great day. Renee 🙂
Thank you so much!
YOU are most welcome. hugs. Renee 🙂
Hmmm so how light is light weights? Honestly? So glad you are ok but sorry for your sister. Keep being careful 🙂
Believe it or not, I have actually been a very good girl. I have only been lifting about half the weight I was doing pre-injury… so not much.
No doubt that would still be more than I can lift!!!