“…Let me be something every blessed minute.
And when I sleep, let me dream all the time so that not one little piece of living is ever lost.”
― Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
You may or may not have noticed some subtle (and not so subtle) changes going on with this blog as of late. You see, given that I am now married, discussing family planning, and working as supervisor it seems like my life has finally transitioned from that weird in between stage (where you are on your own but really only responsible for yourself) to official grown up. In that spirit, I thought it was time for The Running Thriver to become more grown up too.
Over the past few years I’ve been blogging, I feel like I have finally come to a place where I have found my voice (big surprise: it’s kind of snarky) and know what direction I want to take this site. Within the past few months I’ve learned a tremendous amount about how to customize my blog appearance, edit and create my own graphics, and use new social media outlets (twitter, instagram, pinterest… my head is still spinning!) all in an effort to make this blog completely my own and use it to reflect who I am as a person (and blogger!).
As much as I loved the paisley (I may find a way to incorporate it back in yet!), there is more to me than a pre-designed layout. My personality and voice are unique, so my blog appearance should reflect the same. I started with something simple and little by little I am making it my own. BTW I would love to hear your suggestions and feedback throughout the process!
My monumental accomplishment for today was adding social media buttons (present above my gravatar… which PS. now links to my “About Me” page. Who’s awesome? That’s right, me! jk… It’s actually kind of pathetic how badly I struggle with these things.) See them. Use them, Love them. If you don’t, I will have wasted several hours of my life that I will never get back.
Anyhow, as you all know updating this blog has been something that has been on my To Do List for quite some time. So, now that I am in the process of tackling the major revamp, I thought I’d share some other items on my Grown Up Bucket List:
- Publish a book– Of course not just publish a book, but become a New York Times best seller. Then I can take the proceeds from the book and provide scholarships for other victims of trauma to live their dreams. No, I am not kidding. Go big or go home people! I am going to share my story and inspire the masses that they too can chase their dreams, regardless of athletic prowess or coordination (or lack there of…)
- Start a Non-Profit– Because someone needs to be in charge of coordinating and handing out the scholarship money. If the best seller thing doesn’t come through, I may need to win the lottery for this one. On the plus side, at least I have my life figured out should I ever strike it rich.
- Start a Family– For the record, these are not in order of importance. Also, it turns out I am not pregnant (yet) just crazy, as previously expected (I finally got my period and it snowed today. Happy Monday to me! I know, TMI). I may need to see a doctor if this continues… the weird symptoms that is, not the lack of pregnancy.
- Run an Ultra in an Exotic Location– Well maybe not super exotic because I’m not really into humidity and giant bugs, but I wouldn’t mind Tuscany or Ireland…
- Vacation at the Sandals Resort in St. Lucia– Why? Because we never had a honeymoon, and if we did have one that was where I wanted to go.
- Finish a 50 Miler– This one should be totally obvious since I have already done a 50K 😉
- Maybe Try a 100 Miler– I refuse to commit to this dream at this time
- Finish a Half Ironman– I am clearly dedicated to this one if I stuck with swimming in spite of Coach M kicking me out of class and telling me to get a refund.
- Finish a Full Ironman– This one is going to happen before I die!
- Become a Marathon Swimmer– That’s right, I said it out loud… or typed it anyway.
- Get Comfortable on My Bike– Preferably before the Half and Full Ironman…
- Qualify for the Boston Marathon– At the rate I am going I may be able to qualify at age 80… if I don’t get any slower by then…
- Meet Diana Nyad– Because she is AMAZING, I admire her, and I am secretly hoping to become a better swimmer by being in her presence.
- Meet Meredith Atwood (Swim Bike Mom)– Also AMAZING, and I’d like to thank her in person for the book. I’d prefer not to meet her though until after I’ve written my book or completed an Ironman because otherwise it will just look creepy and stalker-ish
- Complete an Un-Assisted Pull Up– I am SOOOOOO close… It’s going to happen. This will be my year!
- Compete in a Body Building Competition– It’s probably the only time I will get on track with my nutrition and eat enough calories in a day. Plus, I think it’d be a great challenge.
- Climb Mount Kilimanjaro– The Hubs is on board with this. We just need to find extra couple thousand dollars for funding…
- Live on a Lake– Luckily the Hubs also has this one on his Bucket List.
- Become a Fitness Instructor/Coach– Just part-time, you know, because I don’t have enough else going on…
- Be a Guest on Oprah or Ellen (probably Ellen… there’s more dancing and oh maybe I could meet that girl who raps Nicki Minaj…) Clearly this would have to happen after becoming a best selling author
- Place First in My Age Group– Just once… maybe when I’m 80 and qualify for Boston.
- Make an Impact– Before I die I want to do something to leave my mark. I want to have helped to make the world a better place.
That’s all I have for now… I’m sure I’ll think of others after I hit publish.
What’s on your Bucket List?
Any in common?
How about a Spartan Race?
You know I do still have that free race entry, and we are only 9 likes away from starting the giveaway. I think you should all head over to like my Facebook Page through my new social media button and take note of the “Giveaway” tab while you’re there.
9 MORE LIKES PEOPLE! That’s all that’s separating you and the chance for an EPIC RACE EXPERIENCE!
Tell your friends, tell your neighbors, tell random strangers. The sooner we get to 200 likes, the sooner I can make one of you a very happy fellow thriver. And for those of you who enter but don’t win, I also have a link for a discount code.
In the meantime, I hope you are all having a very Happy Monday!
Because I couldn’t help myself…